Three Night Package
This unique collaboration between local Ngati Tuwharetoa tribal members and Huka Lodge has been created by experiential travel specialists Ahipara Luxury Travel New Zealand, offering an authentic cultural exchange exclusively for our guests.
This immersive journey with its special insights into Maori spiritual values and traditions is guided and presented by Tom Loughlin and Delani Brown.
Tom is an experienced Maori chef, outdoorsman and tracker. He will share his close spiritual relationship as a guardian of the land while you walk, talk and share food together.
Delani is a master carver of his tribe and as such a treasured guardian of their stories and traditions, as expressed in the beauty of his carving.
- Accommodation for three nights, for two guests, in a riverside Junior Lodge Suite, full country breakfast, pre-dinner drinks with canapés and superb five-course dinner each day of your stay.
- Day One: arrive at Huka Lodge, settle in and orientate. Late afternoon meet with Tom who will prepare you for the powhiri (welcome ceremony) and discuss your programme for the following two days.
- Day Two: Following breakfast depart with Tom by private vehicle for powhiri at Mount Titiraupenga, the home of a sacred grove of 1,600-year-old totara trees.
- During this time meet master carver, Delani, enjoy a time of sharing with tribe members, including lunch. In consultation with Delani, select a piece of wood and talk with him about yourselves so the Maori carving he will craft especially for you will be a unique connection to you and what you treasure. Return to Huka Lodge in the late afternoon.
- Day Three: Spend time with Tom gathering, making and enjoying food cooked in a hangi (traditional Maori feast cooked using heated stones). Meet with Delani to approve your bespoke carving design. This can be one larger piece or two smaller carvings, depending on your preference. It will be sent to your home once it is completed. Return to Huka Lodge late afternoon.
Included in rates
Though accommodation rates do vary according to the season they always include pre-dinner drinks and canapés, a five-course gourmet dinner – with the menu changing daily, and full country breakfast. Guests have use of all Lodge amenities and we offer complimentary return Taupo Airport transfers if required.
*A festive season surcharge of NZ$400 + GST per person, per night, applies on 24 December (Christmas Eve), 26 December (Boxing Day), 31 December (New Year's Eve) and 01 January (New Year's Day). Festive season includes gifts, performances and entertainment, party decorations, French Champagne and fine wines, gourmet lunches and gala dinners, excursions and activities.
The Art of the Maori Carver Package (all accommodation on a double/twin basis) 2017/2018
15 Dec. 2017 – 31 Mar. 2018
|Junior Lodge Suite||NZ$4,056* per person, per night|
|Owner's Cottage||NZ$10,557* per person, per night|
|Alan Pye Cottage||NZ$8,365* per person, per night|
The Art of the Maori Carver Activity 2017/2018
Guests can book this activity separately from their accommodation at Huka Lodge. You can do this through Huka Lodge reservations who will liaise with Ahipara Luxury Travel directly.
|ACTIVITY ONLY||15 Dec. 2017 – 31 Mar. 2018|
*All prices quoted are in New Zealand dollars and include GST of 15%. This package activity is subject to availability.
While every effort will be made to provide this package in the form in which it is currently published, there could be last-minute changes due to circumstances beyond our control.